Rising EIS and SEIS Flows Highlight Strength of the Sector
- On October 27, 2016
- By Kate Arnold
Mark Brownridge, Director General of the Enterprise Investment Scheme Association (EISA), comments on the latest HMRC Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) and Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) fundraising data, issued today (October 27th 2016).
“The latest EIS and SEIS fundraising data from HMRC shows money flowing into the schemes continues to rise and break new records. More than £1.8bn was invested in EIS in 2014-15 and £175m in SEIS, both exceeding previous years and maintaining the upward trajectory in fundraising that has been a trend of the past few years.”
“Since EIS was created in 1994, almost 25,000 companies have now received investment through the scheme, totalling £14.2bn. This is a fantastic figure that speaks of the success of the scheme in helping UK businesses to grow and succeed, while providing UK taxpayers with thousands of attractive tax-efficient investment opportunities. It is win-win for both and the wider economy too.”
HMRC Key Statistics – October 2016
Enterprise Investment Scheme
- Since the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) was launched in 1993-94, over 24,620 individual companies have received investment through the scheme and almost £14.2 billion of funds have been raised.
- Data for 2014-15 shows that 3,265 companies raised a total of £1,816 million of funds under the EIS scheme. In 2013-14, 2,840 companies raised £1,591 million of funds.
- Data for 2014-15 show that the 1,660 companies raising funds for the first time under the scheme raised a total of £1,022 million compared with 1,405 first time companies raising £897 million in 2013-2014.
- In 2014-15, companies from the Business Services sector accounted for over £600 million of investment (one third of all EIS investment)
- London and the South East continued to account for the largest proportion of investment with companies in these regions receiving 65% of investment in 2014-15
Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme
- In 2014-15, 2,290 companies received investment through the Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS) and £175 million of funds were raised. This compares with 2,110 companies raising a total of £171 million under SEIS in 2013-14.
- Over 1,800 of these companies were raising funds under SEIS for the first time in 2014-15, representing £152 million in investment.
- In 2014-15, companies from the Hi-tech and Business services sectors made up 62% of the amount of SEIS investment received.
To see the full HMRC EIS and SEIS statistics report click here.
GET IN TOUCH!
CALL US020 7071 3945
FOLLOW US ON
Throughout our site you will find links to external websites. Although we make every effort to ensure these links are accurate, up to date and relevant, we cannot take responsibility for pages maintained by external providers.